Careerlearn brings you classes via e-mail and the internet. Using any computer with a high speed internet connection you can access your assignments, lecture notes, and participate in discussions with the instructor and other students. Exchange essays, exams, and all other materials by computer. You can take an online course from home, from work, or from anywhere in the world where you can access the internet.
Careerlearn is the online learning program of Wilson Technological Center. Wilson Tech is the career and technical education division of Western Suffolk BOCES, a non-profit intermediate educational organization located on Long Island, New York. Wilson Tech has offered adult education classes since 1963.
While the primary function of BOCES is to serve the 18 school districts in western Suffolk County, in 1998 Wilson Tech decided to use the power and convenience of the internet to provide career training 24/7. Adults have responded favorably to our online courses where they can boost their job skills at their own pace. To meet the demand for this independent style of job training, we add new courses each week.
Browse through our online course catalog and register for a course that will help you learn a new skill, earn a promotion, or prepare for a career change. You'll be glad you went online! Our courses are affordable and our programs and instructors are grounded in real experience in the workplace.
Choose one of these 6 easy ways to register!
Register Now!. Follow instructions. Registration accepted via a secure server.
Call 631-667-6000, ext. 320 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Have your VISA, MasterCard or Discover Card number and expiration date available.
Fax your completed registration form with your VISA or MasterCard number and expiration date to 631-623-4922. Available 24 hours a day.
Check, money order or credit card will be accepted up to one week before your course begins. Mail to: Careerlearn, Adult Education, Wilson Technological Center, 17 Westminster Ave., Dix Hills, NY 11746. Make check payable to: Western Suffolk BOCES
By Purchase Order:
Organizations enrolling staff for training can be invoiced if a purchase order number is provided.
Registration is accepted at Wilson Technological Center's Dix Hills campus only. Hours are Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Summer hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m..
The two types of online programs vary by the amount of involvement of the instructor.
For these online courses, you are assigned an instructor who will answer specific questions, lead weekly chat room discussions, and evaluate your work. You can study at the time of day you prefer, so long as you keep pace with the course schedule. Courses run for various lengths of time within a prescribed semester. Spring semester: February to June; Summer semester: July to August
Self-paced tutorials have audio lectures and practice exercises. There are no instructors facilitating the course. There is no software or textbook to purchase, and they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We believe that computer skills are best acquired by incorporating hands-on experience with information and expert advice. Each of your lessons comes complete with a quiz or simulations that reinforce the material covered in your lesson. Each quiz will be evaluated instantly and returned to you. In addition, many lessons will have assignments that give you practical hands-on experience with the material in your course.
What's more, Careerlearn courses exploit the interactive nature of the internet, virtually ensuring that all of your course-related questions are answered! During an instructor-led course, your instructor, his or her teaching assistant, and your fellow students are just a click away.
In our experience, online learning gives you the practical experience and interaction that a manual or book just cannot give. Also, the dynamic nature of the internet makes it easy for us to frequently update our course material. So, the information you learn is as topical and up-to-date as today's newspaper!
In today's fast-paced world, many of us find it difficult to take time away from work and family to attend school. With our online courses, you can "attend class" in the comfort of your own home or office. Just log into your online classroom when you are ready to read your lessons, complete your quizzes and assignments, or communicate with your instructor and fellow students. Our online courses fit your schedule: you can take them before breakfast, during lunch, late at night, or any time you find convenient. The choice is yours! Online courses, however, are not for everybody. Although you will be in contact with your instructor and your classmates through the course discussion areas (instructor-led courses only), learning over the internet is essentially a solitary activity. If you crave face-to-face interaction or anticipate problems completing your lessons in a timely manner, you may fare better in a classroom environment.
1. Although we make every effort to ensure that all our courses are offered as advertised, it may become necessary to make changes to our program. If we cancel a course, all your fees are totally refunded.
2. If you cannot attend a class that has been rescheduled to a time or place other than advertised, you are entitled to a full refund.
3. If you transfer from a canceled course to another course, you will either be charged the tuition difference or receive a refund of any overpayment.
4. If you withdraw from an instructor-led course 24 hours before the first scheduled class, a full tuition refund, less a withdrawal fee of $25, will be made after the withdrawal* is requested via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you withdraw from an tutorial course before logging on for your first lesson, a full tuition refund, less a withdrawal fee of $25, will be made after the withdrawal* is requested via email from email@example.com.
5. If you withdraw from an instructor-led course after the first scheduled class but 24 hours before the second class meeting, one-half of the tuition, less a withdrawal fee of $25, will be refunded after withdrawal* is requested in writing via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. There are no refunds for requests received after the second session of an instructor-led course begins or after you log on for the second time for an enhanced tutorial.
7. All extra costs, such as books or equipment that were not included in tuition price, are not subject to refund.
8. Any overpayment accepted will be totally refunded.
9 Please note there is a $25 fee for ALL returned checks.
10. Payments made with a credit card will receive cancellation credit on their credit card.
Note: Every effort is made to provide you a timely refund. Processing of refunds may take 45 days after your first scheduled day of class. Our programs are supported entirely by student tuition. No discounts can be provided.
*The date of withdrawal is the date/time your request is received at BOCES.